Surprise! It’s not actually chile relleno, but rather a lovely layered relleno pie to the tune of my fav Puebla dish. And probably the only Puebla dish I’m aware of.
I saw these gorgeous peppers that spoke to me. I wasn’t sure where to go with them. Stuffed with cheese in an eggy mess was the first thing that came to mind.
You ever skin a pepper? It’s very simple.
– A quick roast on a pan ( I used some lard. That’s how I roll. ).
– After ten minutes of hot heat oven action, sweat it in a bag. — Prepare some cheese or chop something while you wait some minutes.
– Pull one out and peel off the skin. It’s very thin. Like a Kimono bursted.
– You are left with soft, silky peppers.
With last night’s mushies and green beans, I layered like this in a lard coated loaf pan:
– mushie bean mix
– roughly mixed egg
– cheese, easy going melty stuff
: rinse and repeat
The last layer is pepper followed by cheese
I cooked in an average oven until browny and melty.
If in France, a young Gouda and/or Comte
Otherwise, Jack or Moz